Sunday 19 October 2014

Becoming perfect

Heb 5:7-8
7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. 8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered.
(ESV)
I once put up a post about how Jesus yielded Himself to the will of the Father, even when it was the most difficult thing to do at the time. He had pleaded that the cup be taken away, but eventually resigned to asking that the Father's will be done since it  was obviously his destiny to suffer death.
I came across this scripture in Hebrews today, explaining what really happened that night at the garden when Jesus was praying and my eyes became heavy.
First, it gives a picture of how Jesus (Son of the living God) prayed; with loud cries and tears and deep supplications and can u imagine that the bible says God heard Him? That's what blew my mind. If God heard Him, how come He still had to die?
It's the same way we feel sometimes.
If God heard me, how come my loved one still died?
If God heard me, how come I still lost the job?
If God heard me, how come I still didn't get the admission,  job or contract?
If God heard me, how come we didn't get married?
If God heard me, how come I'm not yet pregnant?
But God is a Spirit, not a man. That He hears us doesn't mean He answers the way we expect all the time. The Father heard Jesus and all He did was send an angel to comfort Him. Not take the pain away, but to comfort Him in the face of pain and death.
Sometimes, that's what God does for us. He just let's us go through the fire anyway and in the end, just like Jesus, we have one sure souvenir. We would have learned obedience and become perfect (Heb 2:10) through what we suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment